Author: lagomadmin

Let’s talk cleaning!

How many of you have tried to wipe down the kitchen table only to discover that there are already dishes on it, and the kid’s homework, and the mail from today (3 days ago?!), and the dog’s leash, lunch boxes, hair ties, an empty food container…I could go on.

So how do you wipe down the table?

Before you can wipe it down you have to remove everything from the surface and put it somewhere else. You could, of course, wipe around everything, or push it from side to side, but who knows what nasty germs might be lurking underneath. With all that clutter it takes so much extra time and effort! Who wants to do that!?

If you can relate to this scenario, you’re not alone. Horizontal surfaces can easily become a dumping ground for…well, everything. The reason this happens is that items in your home don’t have a permanent place to live or you need a system for how things come into the house.

Did you know (you probably already do because you’re so clever!) that 99% of your home can be cleaned with simple non-toxic products that you probably already have in your baking cupboard? That’s right, baking soda and vinegar. I’ve been using baking soda and vinegar to clean since 1995 and it works great! (What’s that remaining 1% you ask? Sometimes you discover a particularly nasty mold that requires bleach or you have adhesive or ink residue that can’t be removed with peanut butter)

Using non-toxic methods to clean your home is better for the environment and your health. It also take up less space on your shelves. Yay, less clutter!

Once you remove the clutter from your home you make it SO MUCH EASIER to keep it clean. It also saves you time when you clean in a certain order.

How to clean your home efficiently:

  1. First, declutter your stuff. The KonMari Method® is a great tool for decluttering!
  2. Assign permanent homes for the stuff that’s left.
  3. Implement systems to put things away and prevent future dumping.
  4. Use a soft damp cloth to wipe dust. (I upcycled a worn microfiber towel into dish rags)
  5. Work from top to bottom in each room. This allows all the loose dust to fall to the ground and the floors should be vacuumed or swept last.

Baking soda is a great gentle abrasive and can be made into a paste with a touch of water to scrub sinks and whatnot. I even clean the market residue off of produce by scrubbing them with baking soda. It also helps keep things fresh by absorbing odors in the fridge. I keep a cute little bowl of baking soda on the top shelf and refresh it every other month.

If you want to be a little extra, you can clean the sink with a sprinkle of baking soda and half a lemon. The lemon is an acid just like the vinegar and it acts as its own scrub brush. Behold the lemony fresh scent!

When you’re done, you’ll have time to amaze your family with cleaning science. Simply spray or pour vinegar over baking soda and watch it bubble up! Instant chemical reaction.

Let me know below if you’re a fan of non-toxic cleaning methods!